06 August 2008

Meditations on Violence

I just finished Meditations On Violence by Sgt. Rory Miller this weekend. Wow...I mean, wow! For many years now, I've been purchasing copies of Sanford Strong's Strong on Defense for all those folks that I felt needed a kick in the ass about real life violence. Without question, Meditations on Violence is going to get equal billing on that front; perhaps even replacing Strong's book in some instances. This book does in 169 pages what dozens of "reality based self defense" books have failed to do over the years. Miller's perspective on and articulation of the various aspects of violence is astounding and profound. I can't stress enough how important this book is to those of you who have drank the kool-aid when it comes to martial answers to real world violence. One of the first things Rory Miller asks the reader to do is examine her assumptions about, well, everything. This is a wake up call for all of us, including us JKDC folks. More on the book is coming in the future...hell, I've already discussed many of the concepts in and out of class.

No comments: